Rarely does the word “artificial” have a positive connotation—artificial sweetener, artificial food dye, artificial meat, etc… So, why should we trust Artificial Intelligence?
Even though I’d like to picture AI in healthcare as a friendly, marshmallowy robot, this probably won’t happen (at least, not at first). Instead, AI in healthcare will be developed across multiple subsets of the healthcare industry, from drug discovery research and treatment optimizing plans all the way to being able to recognize cancerous tumors in various health screenings.
Now, I know what you’re thinking—humans can already do all that, what makes a computer better at it than us? Well, right now, AI isn’t necessarily better, but it’s like that extraordinarily gifted kid in school who everyone knows is headed for great things. With such promising potential, everyone in healthcare is keeping a close eye on AI and how it’ll be maximized in the coming years.
People are taking big bets on developing Artificial Intelligence in healthcare. Some are seeing early returns while others are still working towards their initial traction.
Regardless, here are the 48 most promising healthcare AI companies on our radar.
Apps and Wearables for Health
- BioBeats – Artificial Intelligence for human wellbeing.
- Lucina Health – Founded by clinicians with a passion for safe, quality healthcare.
- PeerWell – Their PreHab & ReHab app guides patients through surgery prep and recovery to cut down patient risk and reduce care costs.
Big Data – Learning from the EHR
- Jvion – They predict events to save lives, and their value isn’t tied their solution’s sophistication; it’s tied to health outcomes that they improve.
- Lumiata – Uses AI-powered analytics to help organizations precisely identify and manage risk at the individual level.
- CareSkore – Predictive analytics-based CRM (patient follow up and management) for hospitals, health systems, ACOs and payers.
- Flatiron Health – Flatiron is a cloud-based technology platform dedicated to improving cancer care.
- Wellframe – Connecting people and amplifying care.
- Welltok – Welltok’s CaféWell Health Optimization Platform provides consumers with personalized guidance and incentives to optimize their health.
- DreaMed Diabetes – The first viable closed loop insulin delivery system in the world.
- Healint – Healint provides services and innovative solutions through mobile devices, sensors, machine learning and big data for the management of chronic diseases.
- CouldMedx – Their platform leverages the latest clinical algorithms, machine learning technology, advanced natural language processing, and a proprietary clinical contextual ontology to improve clinical outcomes and lower cost.
Imaging / Image Detection
- Arterys – Arterys’ mission is to radically transform the world of medical imaging via high performance cloud computation.
- Lunit – Lunit builds data-driven imaging biomarker (DIB) technology for image-based disease screening.
- Zebra – Zebra Medical Vision has set out to create the world’s largest medical imaging insights platform.
- Butterfly Network – Butterfly Network operates at the cutting edge of multiple engineering and scientific disciplines
- Cycadia Health – Developed a novel breast health screening device and methodology based on disruptive technology and tissue health science.
- Viz – viz.ai offers point-of-care ultrasound solutions.
- Enlitic – Creating data-driven medicine with deeper EHR insights.
Molecular / Genetic
- Atomwise – Atomwise develops artificial intelligence systems using powerful learning algorithms and supercomputers for drug discovery.
- Deep Genomics – Deep Genomics is combining world-leading expertise in machine learning and genome biology to transform medicine.
- Pathway Genomics – Pathway Genomics is a CAP-accredited global clinical lab offering genetic tests for cancer risk, drug responses, and other conditions.
Open-Source AI Platform / Enterprise AI
- H2O.ai – Fast and scalable machine learning API for smarter applications.
- Ayasdi – Ayasdi offers a machine intelligence platform that helps organizations gain transformative advantage from big data.
Payer and Provider Insights
- Apixio – They’re the data science company for healthcare.
- Picwell – They help people pick the ideal health plan for themselves and their families.
- MedAware – MedAware provides innovative solutions that save lives, improve patient safety, and significantly reduces healthcare costs.
- NuMedii – NuMedii discovers and de-risks effective drugs by translating life sciences’ big data into therapies.
- Numerate – Numerate seeks to overcome major challenges in drug discovery by applying novel machine-learning algorithms—at cloud scale—to drug design.
- twoXAR – Artificial intelligence-driven bio pharmaceutical company.
- Ginger.io – Ginger.io is a provider of high-tech mental healthcare solutions.
- AiCure – Advanced medication adherence solutions powered by artificial intelligence.
- MedWhat – MedWhat is a medical artificial intelligence company.
- Sensely – Sensely is an avatar-based, empathy-driven clinical platform that helps clinicians and patients better monitor and manage their health.
- Your.MD – The world’s most advanced personal health assistant, and the only product on the market to provide medical guidance through end-to-end AI.
- SkinVision – SkinVision is a mobile app that allows you to understand your risk factors for melanoma skin cancer and keep track of your moles.
- Touchkin – understands how you are doing from your phone’s behavior and gets you support from a bot (Wysa) or a loved one (StayClose), and a diabetes coach is coming soon.
Blood Test / Cancer Detection
- Freenome – Freenome is a platform that helps design healthy conditions for an individual based on his/her cell-free genome.
- Gauss Surgical – Gauss Surgical, a biotech company, develops a mobile vision-based platform for accurate and real-time measurement of surgical blood loss.
- Qventus – Qventus optimizes decisions in hospitals in real time to reduce costs, improve quality, and advance patient experience.
Objective Pain Analysis
- Medasense – Medasense has developed an innovative platform technology that can objectively assess and monitor changes in a patient’s pain level.
- NextHealth Technologies – NextHealth was founded by industry visionaries that truly want to make the world a better place.
Recognizing Deteriorating Patients
- Medalogix – Medalogix, a health data analytics firm, offers readmission assessment services for patients in home health or skilled nursing facilities.
- Sentrian – Sentrian is the world’s first ‘Remote Patient Intelligence’ company, aspiring to eliminate all preventable hospitalization.
- EnsoData – EnsoData applies their AI and big data engine to save clinicians hundreds of hours by automating diagnostic sleep data analysis, one of the most arduous vitals data interpretation tasks in all of healthcare.
These companies are poised to make use of AI in ways that healthcare has never seen before, and we’re excited watch it play out. If you’re part of a team who’s pushing healthcare forward with AI, reach out—we’d love to hear from you and feature what you’re creating on this blog.